Friday, September 7, 2012

Route 66 - Chain of Rocks Bridge

Chain of Rocks Bridge, 2006

Chain of Rocks Bridge, 2006
ON THE MISSISSIPPI RIVER. This 2012 trip was my third attempt to find the Illinois side of the Chain of Rocks Bridge, and I failed again. I had my usual turn by turn directions, two different guide books, and I also Google mapped the route in exquisite detail, all to no avail. I just couldn't find it. Since I was taking an alignment that bypassed downtown St. Louis and the bridge (west on I-270, then south on 61/67), I had to cancel my planned walk across the Mississippi. These photos are from 2006, when I approached the bridge from the Missouri side. One left turn off of old 66 is all that is needed from that side.
     The Chain of Rocks bridge is one of the most famous crossings on Route 66, and cross it I did in 2006, hoofing it from the Missouri side all the way back to Illinois. Built in 1929, the famous bend in the bridge was necessary for the Mississippi River traffic below it, but a real hazard to the oversize automobiles of the 1940's and 50's. The actual rocks the bridge was named for are somewhere nearby in the river, but I could never find them. One last bit of trivia: A chase scene in the movie "Escape from New York" was filmed on the bridge, and having walked or driven over most of the bridges to Manhattan, all I can say is, that was a real stretch.

1 comment:

  1. I've never walked across all the way, only to the halfway point. It's probably good that you used the old photos, because in my recent times of being out there on the Illinois side, it's shown signs of vandalism.

    ReplyDelete