Thursday, September 27, 2012

Oklahoma Route 66 - Arcadia

Sam Gillaspy, 2007
ARCADIA, OKLAHOMA. As impressive and colorful as the Round Barn of Arcadia was for me, the best part of my first visit, in 2007, was meeting Mr. Sam Gillaspy, a lifelong resident of Arcadia. 81 years old at the time, Sam led me on an informative tour of both floors of the structure, but what I really enjoyed was hearing about life on Sam's nearby farm. Farm life was something quite alien and fascinating to someone who hails from the suburbs of New Jersey, and this is why we travel, isn't it? I live in a town of 30,000 people and don't know most of them, including the people on my own block. That's why I found it enchanting to hear about the barn dances that were held here in Arcadia, events that brought together a community to celebrate and enjoy life together. To bring your best girl and to show her off in such a setting as this, that must engender a simple and homey pleasure that most of us will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment