Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Missouri Route 66 - Paris Springs

PARIS SPRINGS, MISSOURI. Gary Turner in 2008, one of my favorite Route 66 images. The Sinclair gas station in Paris Springs, where you can find Gary most days, is where I had the opportunity to experience Route 66 from the other direction - that of a stay in one place proprietor rather than a constantly moving-on traveler. In 2010, I sat in the shade on Gary Turner's little porch for about an hour with him, and watched as he greeted the passersby. First to pull up were two old high school buddies about my age, who were driving 66 in a Corvette. It was something they had been planning to do since they were kids, and life had paused just long enough for both of them to fulfill their dream. A bit later, a retired couple from Canada wandered in, telling us how much they enjoyed exploring the U.S. in their retirement. This inspired a friendly discussion about the differences between Canadian and American cultures. I could really get to like this, I thought, as I sat back and relaxed with my new friends. But when two more cars pulled up to the curb a bit later, there suddenly was no more time to meet the new arrivals, as there were places to see down the road and I had to get moving. I reluctantly packed up my camera and said my goodbyes, but the disappointment passed quickly as I began exploring what was around the next bend. Maybe someday I'll buy a little piece of Route 66 and settle down, letting the world come to me and sign my guestbook, and sleep in the same bed every night. But not just yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment