Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Illinois Route 66 - Odell

John Weiss, chairman of the Illinois Route 66 Preservation Committee

John Weiss really packs them on his tour of the Odell Station

ODELL, ILLINOIS. I was fortunate to run into John Weiss, the most enthusiastic Route 66 supporter in all of Illinois, at the restored Standard Oil Station in Odell. I had met John 5 or 6 years ago and received a personal tour of the station, but this time, it was fun just watching him entertain an entire busload of 66 travelers. Later that day we crossed paths again in nearby Pontiac, where John took me around the corner and introduced me to the mayor. Just your typical day on Route 66!
       John is chairman of the Illinois Route 66 Preservation Committee, and he and his wife, Lenore, were instrumental in the "Save the Odell Station" project back in 1996. And of course, John's guide to Illinois Route 66 is always open on the seat next to me during 66 tours of that state.

No comments:

Post a Comment